Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Morning Views of The Planet Saturn

The Planet Saturn
I got up (and out) early this morning.... setting the Argonaut up around 6:30am. I'd left it sitting by the front door... under the overhang... just in case. As luck would have it, skies were crystal clear... with first light well upon us.
I looked west and saw The Planet Mars... with The Constellation Orion chasing just behind it. I figured that from my vantage point, Saturn offered the best viewing opportunity. So... braving the cold (25* or so) I setup the 6" and my observing chair to the side of the deck... and spun it towards the southeast and The Planet Saturn.
Views of the ringed planet were pretty sweet. I went from 90x to about 225x... before settling back to a nice, comfortable 200x. At this magnification, views were pretty consistently sharp.
I instantly saw The Cassini Division... and the first real steady views allowed me to follow it completely around the exposed portions of the ring. This was already a good morning :-)
My next major observation (major to me, anyway) was when I noticed a tiny portion of the planet's disk visible above the rings. For the last couple of years, this had been hidden from view, due to the amount of tilt in the planet's orbit. But, Saturn is now swinging back in its orbit... and the tilt is declining considerably. It'll still be several more years before the ring is edge on (and hidden), but... it was one of the first times I've been able to see that portion of the planet in a number of years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home